Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Crayon Heart Valentines... You Color My World!!!

I made these yesterday with my daughter for her to take to school.  It was very simple and fun.  I know Valentines day is tomorrow but if you need a last minute idea here it is. 

First you take about 88 crayons, can be broke old crayons.  Then you remove the paper, we did this by taking a box cutter and slicing the paper and then peeling it off and then braking up the crayons.  You can also put your crayons in hot water and the paper will fall off.  After you have them broken up place the crayons in the bottom of a parchment paper lined 9 x13 inch pan.  Bake in the oven at 200- 250 degree's for 10- 15 minutes until crayons are melted.  When you remove from the oven make sure not to move the pan too much or else the colors will all turn to a gray shade, much like when you mix all colors of paint.  Let the crayons cool slightly but not all the way.  Use a small heart shape cookie cutter and cut out the shapes.  You can also do this with other shapes for other holidays.  Place the heart shaped crayons on another piece of parchment paper to finish cooling all the way and then the crayon is done! 

I then took red card stock and cut out heart shapes to have a card to go along with the crayon.  I then placed the crayon in a bag and used red ribbon to tie the bag up and punched a hole in the card and attached to the bag.  You can also use tape to attach the crayon to the card if you want.  I found this way to be cheaper... I got the bags for $2.00 for 25, the red ribbon was $0.47, the crayons I had and the card stock I had also.  Card stock normal runs around $3.40 per package at Walmart. The double sided foam tape was $5.00 so I choose the bags. I think this is an awesome way to make a personalized Valentine without breaking the bank.  I have to say there are people who make these with a heart shaped muffin pan, I did not have one so I used a cookie cutter and it worked great!  Here are some pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment