Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Philly Cheesesteaks!

Hello everyone, I am going to be honest I have been a little under the weather today so we had Subway for supper tonight.  I am planning my dinner for tomorrow night. While I was sick on the couch this afternoon my husband let me watch TV for a few minutes in between all the football games he was watching and I watched Sandra Lee’s Money Saving Meals and she made these Philly Cheesesteaks.  They looked so good I am making them tomorrow!  I think I am going to use cheese wiz like the original instead of making my own sauce….although I may try it.  I will post how they were tomorrow… If anyone else makes them let me know!!! Enjoy!



Philly Cheesesteaks!
Recipe copyright Sandra Lee, 2011

Ingredients

  • 1 pound top round London broil
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 medium onions, sliced
  • 2 green peppers, cut into strips
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk, warm
  • 1 cup shredded provolone
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Four 5-inch sub rolls, split

Directions

Wrap the meat tightly in plastic wrap and put it into the freezer for 45 minutes. It should be firm but not completely frozen.

Heat a large cast-iron skillet or a griddle over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook until they are soft and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooked onions and peppers for another use.

In a medium pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook until it just starts to bubble and thicken, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cheese and cayenne. Stir occasionally as the cheese melts. Cover and keep warm.

With a sharp knife, slice the meat into very thin strips. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the meat until it is done to your liking, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Divide the onion and pepper mixture among the 4 rolls. Top with the meat and the cheese sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment